Judging Criteria 48 Hour Film Project
In each of our cities, a panel of judges decides the local awards. Past judges have included film critics, producers, actors, and other industry professionals - including Dave Costabile, Shekhar Kapur and Nathalie Boltt.
Considerations For Best Film
- Artistic Merit (story, creativity, entertainment, etc.) - 45%
- Technical Merit - 30%
- Adherence to the Assignment - 25%
All films, on-time and late, are eligible for the Audience Award, which is determined by audience ballot at the premiere screenings in each city.
Grand Prize Winner 48 Hour Film Project
An international panel of judges will select the Best Film of 2022 from among the best film of each city. The winner will be announced at our Awards Ceremony at Filmapalooza 2023 and they will receive:
- The Grand Prize Trophy
- $5000 USD Cash Prize
- A Special Screening at the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner
Cannes Film Festival
Each year we take a selection of our Top Films to the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner where we have a special screening. Filmmakers are able to enter the Marche du Film, network with film professionals from around the world, and, quite often, score a red-carpet ticket to a world premiere.
Local Prizes 48 Hour Film Project
The winner of Best Film of 2022 in each city receives:
- Filmapalooza Screening: The City Winner will be screened at Filmapalooza 2023, the official 48HFP Awards Weekend.
- A Trophy which will be presented at Filmapalooza.
- There may be additional prizes in some cities.
Other awards may include:
- Best Acting
- Best Cinematography
- Best Directing
- Best Editing
- Best Musical Score
- Best Sound Design
- Best Special Effects
- Best Use of Character
- Best Use of Prop
- Best Use of Line
- Best Writing