Adding Your City to Our Tour
Does your city have an awesome independent filmmaking community, but isn't already a part of our our 48HFP global filmmaking tour? Read on to learn more about how we can add your city.
The 48 Hour Film Project is the world's largest and most beloved timed film competition. It's an annual event where filmmakers have just 48 hours to write, produce, and edit their short films using a character, prop, line of dialogue, and film genre chosen at random. The films are all shown locally in real independent movie theaters as part of a fabulous world premiere screening event.
The films are judged by a local panel of film professionals, the top films are screened at a special Best Of event in your city, and the winning film goes on to our global Filmapalooza competition, and even has a shot at screening at Cannes Film Festival! And there are fun networking events and other opportunities to connect with filmmakers both locally and around the world.
The 48HFP is run at the local level by our team of city producers, an individual or organization within the film community that organizes all the 48HFP screenings and events. Learn more about being a producer.
What We're Looking for in a City
We get many requests to add cities to our tour, and while we\'d love to be in all of them, there are certain requirements in order for a 48HFP event to be successful. Here are a few of the benchmarks we review when determining whether or not to add a new city:
- At least 100 miles away from any existing 48HFP city
- Population of the city/greater metro area of at least 100,000 people
- A locally owned screening venue, or a regional chain that supports and regularly screens local and/or independently produced films
- An existing community of independent filmmakers, film groups, arts organizations, and local/regional film festivals
- A supportive local/regional film commission or office
- No big existing timed film competitions in the area (i.e. no other 48 hour or 24 hour film races)
Think your city might be a fit? Press the button below to be directed to our New City Request form, where we'll ask you for some more information about your city and the local film community (but don't forget to review the city producer duties first).
We generally review new city requests September through February. If you fill out the form outside of this time period, know that we may not review your request until that time.