Paperwork 48 Hour Film Music Video Project

If You're Going To Be A Successful Filmmaker, You've Got To Have The Right Paperwork!!

Film Releases are an important part of the filmmaking process. Without all of the releases your brilliant movie could run into legal issues and/or not be screened. We've got all of the forms that you need. Start by reviewing the rules and FAQs.

Rules Competition Rules FAQs

Paperwork Deadlines 48 Hour Film Music Video Project

The Team Leader Agreement must be submitted by the Kickoff of your 48 Hour Film Project. All other paperwork must be uploaded by Sunday at midnight.

Upload all paperwork to  See Upload Instructions here:

Team Leader's Agreement 1 per team, due at Kickoff

The Team Leader must sign this form to indicate agreement to the Project's rules and requirements. This form must be submitted prior to filmmaking as indicated above.

Wrap Up Form 1 per team, submit Online

We want to know the details—what happened during your wild weekend of moviemaking?

Team Roster 1 per team, submit Online

Tells us who is on your team, their job, and their e-mail address.

Certification Statement 1 per team, due at Dropoff

The Team Leader must sign this form to certify that all creative work took place during the Official Competition Period.

Waiver and Release Form 1 per cast/crew, due at Dropoff

This is a combined Talent Release and Liability Waiver Form, meaning there's one less form you have to keep track of.

  • All cast and crew must sign.
  • Each team member must sign a separate form.
  • Remember, this form helps protect you, the team leader, as well as the Project.

Music Release Form 1 per song/artist, due at Dropoff

This form is used for music. Every song in your film must have a music release form.

Materials Release Form 1 per item/creator, due at Dropoff

This form is used for sound effects, photographs, stock footage as part of a post-production effect (including relevant video filters) and other materials.

Location Release Form 1 per location, due at Dropoff

This form is used for location releases.

Team Checklist All Documents

SAG-AFTRA Team Members

SAG-AFTRA does allow its members to participate in 48 hour films, but this entails additional paperwork and distribution restrictions.

more info

Plan Ahead

All creative work must be done during the official filmmaking period; however, you can get some of the tedious paperwork done ahead of time.

Waiver and Release Forms

Get your team members to sign releases ahead of time - then you don't have to worry with it during crunch time.

Note: This form helps protect you, the team leader, as well as the 48HFP.

Local Musicians

Some local musicians, bands & composers may be willing to let you use their work in your film because it creates additional exposure for their talents.

Creative Commons

You may use music or materials that fall under the Attribution license. This is the only CC lisense that meets the 48HFP conditions.

Note: Creative Commons licenses that are either Non-Commercial or Sharealike are NOT compatible with the 48HFP's Team Leader's Agreement and therefore can NOT be used.

Scout Locations

You are allowed to scout possible locations in advance. This will also come in handy for creating your storyline during the official 48HFP film weekend. It's easier to write the script when you know what you have available.

Filming Permits

The 48HFP does not require you to obtain permits for filming; however, it's possible your city may require permits for certain locations.

Hint: Your local film commission is a good resource to learn what is and isn't permitted in your city.

These documents are strictly to be used for films made for the 48 Hour Film Project.

Important Message: Copycat DisclaimerPrivacy Policy

Copyright © 2001-2022 48 Hour Film Project, Inc. All Rights Reserved